Thursday, October 27, 2005

I have been chewed up and spit out by the Hollywood machine. After many, many months of telling everyone, "My hand is in a movie!" we finally went to see Kids in America only to find that I had been cut. My big scene was left on the cutting room floor!! I was so disappointed considering I had brought my digital camera so that I could take a snapshot of the scene and then print it and have it framed, or maybe put it on my business card so that people would recognize it from the movie and say to themselves,"This guy has got it goin' on." But I'm getting ahead of myself. Saturday morning I got up at 6:00 and got myself ready, grabbed my suitcase and hit the road. It took me about 20 minutes to get across town, but then I tacked on an extra 15 minutes just looking for a parking space at the airport. So, luggage in hand I saddled my way through the front doors and over to the Delta check in desk, where I handed the worker my itinerary and announced that I needed to check in on the 8:00 flight to Dallas. She looked at my itinerary and announced, "You are at the wrong desk, moron." Now, I admit, I've only flown a handful of times in my life and I've always had someone else do the checking in and all that, so this was my first time to fly completely by myself. However, in my defense, yes the itinerary said the flight was operated by Continental but there in big bold colors was the Delta logo. I still don't understand the logic behind it. It's like Delta and Continental put all their differences behind them and teamed up just to make me look like an idiot. Moving on. I flew into Houston and had an hour layover and then boarded my flight to DFW. Well, apparently it was the 27th Annual Reunion of the Annoying Plane Passenger Association. The entire back of the plane knew each other and, therefore, thought it would be alright to act like they were at happy hour at some dive of a bar that you would only go into to either get directions or look for someone to "take care of" someone who owed you money. From the volume of their voices, you would think that they were actually on two different planes and needed to communicate to each other by yelling at each other and then passing a digital camera around to see the "cute" pictures that one of them had taken at sporadic moments during the pre-flight safety instruction presentation. I guess as it turns out they were all from a church in Dallas on their way back home after some wedding/funeral/happy hour that they had attended in Houston. Take your pick. The flight took a lot less time than I thought it would. Unbelievably, about 10 minutes after we took off, the captain came on the intercom to announce that we would now be starting our descent. After landing, I grabbed my bags and Erin picked me up. At this point, it was starting to sink in that I was finally going to see the fruits of my 5 week labor last summer. I made some calls and we left to eat. At the theater, we (which at this point included me, Erin, Jon, Tom, Paul, Tina, and a girl whose name I can't really remember) got our tickets and were soon joined by Kaela Weeks, Lee Jones, Miriam Marshall, and her fiance Aaron. The movie was actually funnier than I thought it was going to be, mainly because I had incredibly low expectations. One critic's response to the movie was "Better than it has any right to be." Everytime I think of that I smile a little. What does that even mean? Is that one of those compliments wrapped in an insult, like "You look better in real life than on TV?" Afterward, we all went to Starbucks and I got to regale everyone with stories of all the on set antics and where I was standing in every scene, and how I was the one that cued Gregory Smith to walk in the house from outside, and how I brought George Wendt some trail mix, and how I walked Nicole Richie to makeup and wardrobe, and how I hung out with Julie Bowen between takes, and how....I could go on and on. But I'm no name dropper. After church the next day, we had planned on going to the fair on the last day, but a cold front had moved in that morning and it was frickin freezing so we didn't go and I took a 3 hour nap instead. It was great. That night I went out with Lee, Courtney and Michelle to Taco Cabana and we chilled for a little while. Everyone seems to be doing great. The next morning, Jon took me to the airport and I flew back home to Little Rock and had the rest of the day to chill until I went to FOX at 6. So that was my exciting movie premiere. I had a really great time and it was great to be in Texas again and see some good friends. Wow, this post is really long. Well, until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home